Beef Pepper Steak
September 11, 2023
You’ve got these round steaks sitting in the freezer, but not sure what to do with them, nor do you have the time to cook them into chicken fried steaks. Try Peppered Steak! Bonus it’s a crock pot meal. This is a recipe I have adapted from the Better Homes New Cookbook.
What you’ll need:
- 1 pound round steak ¾-1 inch thick (buy here)
- Italian-style stewed tomatoes, undrained
- 3 T tomato paste
- 1t Worcestershire sauce
- ½ c diced sweet peppers
- ½ c sliced onions
You can use sirloin, or tenderized round steaks as well. I typically use tenderized round steaks. You can use mostly frozen steaks as well. They need to be thawed enough to cut but that is it. If you’re not a think ahead cook like myself.
If you don’ have the Italian stewed tomatoes, you can use regular tomatoes (canned or fresh) and add a dash or oregano, basil, rosemary, and parsley, to your tasting.
I typically substitute Worcestershire sauce with liquid aminos as well. If you are a gardener, you can use peppers you have frozen in the freezer. They do not have to be fresh peppers.
- 1. Cut the meat into approximately ¼ pound pieces. Sprinkle salt and pepper on both sides.
- 2. Sear beef on each side in large skillet. Then transfer beef into slow cooker. If you’re short on time, you can skip the searing step.
- 3. In a bowl stir together tomatoes, tomato paste and Worcestershire sauce. Pour over meat in slow cooker.
- 4. Top with vegetables
- 5. Cover and cook on low for 10-12 hours or on high for 5-6 hours or until meat and vegetables are tender.
- 6. Serve warm.
Fore complete meal, you can add mashed potatoes, noodles (we like vegetable noodles from Cybele), or rice. If you need a lower carb meal, stick with the vegetables, or simply not add anything to the peppered steak.
I will usually double or triple this recipe for my own family. My husband and I do better with low carb meals and have 3 young kids as well.
For more easy recipes download our recipe book here.